Terms of Indifference

observations from the post graduate pre corporate perspective

May 17, 2006

Ai Lao!!!

Thai people like so say this when someone is doing something really tacky (ugly clothes, blasting the car stereo, etc) and it essentially means "you are acting like a person from Laos" Theres a similar expression where you are acting like a person from Cambodia (same reference to your tacky behavior) but Lao is a more popular insult.

Oh that note: Im going to Laos this weekend! Im taking off tomorrow night, I think (Air Asia online is confusing me) and flying to Udon Thani. Going into Vientienne for the weekend then back to Nong Khai to see the Sala Kaew sculpture park. Rumor on the street is thats its really trippy. The sole purpose for my visit is so that I dont have to feel like I completely wasted my time buying a reentry permit. Although now that Im not renewing my work visa, I dont need it anyway. So hopefully there is something amazing in Laos to justify this adventure.
Another reason I debated going was my gym membership, which expires on the 24th. I didnt want to waste all those precious days since every one counts. But then I thought about it and I can go to a gym in the US - but I dont know if I have the motivation to fly across the world again just to go to Laos. Might as well strike while the irons hot. Besides, not matter how much time I spend at the gym Im still going to feel like the mayor of Blubbyville, Chunkleton once I get to Hawaii.

Upon my return I will attend a concert, see the dentist, go to Pattaya for some quality time with teacher Christopher, and pack my stuff/throw everything away.

3 Comments:

At 8:50 PM, Blogger ruth said...

Laos?
Oh, jealousy.
One of my Australian friends in Ireland said Laos was the best country she visited.

 
At 5:30 AM, Blogger iluvchewy said...

Are you going by yourself? Please be safe!!

Love you!

 
At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ai Lao or Lao are ancestor of Tai(Thai) group. Thai people sure forget their roots. Ai Lao existed more than 4000 years ago in the plateau of modern Tibet and migrated down the Mekong. Modern Tai(Thailand) only know their history to Khun Borom of Nanchao (700 A.D.)

Well most Lao people don't know past Khun Borom Neither.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home