Terms of Indifference

observations from the post graduate pre corporate perspective

February 01, 2006

Hatstravaganza!

I finished some hats - not all of which I posted here. But there are pictures in my photo album so no one feels left out.

The Colorblock hat is a pattern from Woman's Day magazine, which my mother clipped and sent to me last year. I promptly filed it under "Woman's Day clippings" and never looked at it again. I unearthed it because I was running out of ideas. Its knit across rather than top to bottom. The resulting tube is grafted together at the end (excuse me WDM, but a 24" tail really didnt cover all my post-tube-grafting needs) and one end is gathered to transform the tube into a hat. Amazing. A fun hem detail* and tassle surprise are added after the fact. You can clearly see that this hat is tremendously fun to wear.

*pick up 2 stitches in from hem, SC (super long style), Ch 3, repeat. Rock on, right?


The other hat is the "fuck you hat" hat. So named because that is what I was screaming throughout the entire process of crocheting the damned thing. The purpose of this hat was to use up some scrap yarn. So i used a pattern my host mom in Japan had given to me. Rather than take the time to read the pattern I just followed the chart. The result was THREE separate occasions of ripping the hat out and starting over. I had originally wanted to add a scalloped edge but after all that nonsense, when the time came for row 21 - I just SC around and let it be fine.

So now Im trying to work from a Thai (scarf) pattern, which is even sillier than working from a Japanese pattern since I only know about 4 of the words in the entire thing. Im pretty much just guessing on everything and following the chart. I dont know if I even like the result yet. I keep thinking it should be wider but Im really apprehensive about ripping out and starting over (what if its worse? then I did all that ripping for nothing!). Only time will tell.

PS Venus Softfur yarn. No so much soft.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home