Terms of Indifference

observations from the post graduate pre corporate perspective

February 26, 2006

Mo Turns Teen

I dont remember 13 years old being very fun.
My little sister turned 13 and has now acquired an I-POD (so it appears I am officially the last one on earth who cares about having one of these...its like the cellphone thing all over again)
I went to her MySpace site, which I have tagged over in the column to your right. At first, her butchering of the English language really put me off. Until I began realizing that all of her friends were writing using the same style. Its like this amazing subset of English where "azn" truly doesnt mean "asian" to them. My linguistics professor always told me that the signifier is assigned arbitrarily. Otherwise, why would this small, furry, domestic animal be "cat" to one person and "gato" or "neko" or "mao" to another? This group of tweenagers in Seattle have a lexicon that works for them and is still recognizable enough to be considered a derivative of English. Fascinating.
The one thing I cant forgive is the misuse of the word "your" right off that bat. I doubt she had her tongue very far into her cheek when she wrote that one.
Today, I saw a small glimpse of what Mo will be when she is older. She is by far the most confusing of the 3 of us sisters, although the least complex. Very interesting.

Happy birthday "Sista".

2 Comments:

At 1:21 AM, Blogger ruth said...

pinkriotgrrl?!? did you set that up for mo?

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Katie said...

indeed I did. about four years ago. Im surprised she still uses it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home