Terms of Indifference

observations from the post graduate pre corporate perspective

May 28, 2006

Joan of Arc

I am in the process of moving from Thailand to the United States.

Packing and I have never had a very strong relationship but its now becoming an actual problem. I can assure you that every major move I have made in the past ten years (uh...perhaps 12 or so if you count moving to & from college several times) has been executed within 48 hours of departure. I pretty much just wait until its time to go and then I throw what I can in a suitcase and throw everything else in the garbage.

This leaves me feeling rather wasteful but its a necessary evil of moving via airline where its not economical to take everything with you (no matter how badly I want to use the rest of that Listerine, its probably getting the boot in three days)
That being said, an interesting new problem has cropped up regarding my yarn stash. What do I do with all my yarn?

When I first arrived here I complained endlessly about the poor yarn selection in SE Asia. I worked with sport weight acrylic out of desperation and my mother, hearing my cries, sent me what she could. Low & behold, here I am eight months later with an exploding stash of yarn. And nice yarn, at that. I have like four skiens of Lambs Pride Bulky. I cant just throw that shit out!
But it takes up all this room in the suitcase. And I have an entire dryer box of yarn waiting for me in Portland. Oh how I have agonized over this! Its comparable to the anxiety and torment I went through when I was deciding what to do regarding my shoes upon leaving the US.
Ive already decided that the acrylics are getting the boot (except for two balls but they have a really unique color, I swear). Im keeping the eyelash yarns and the wools for sure. Havent made any final judgements regarding the cotton or the bucle yet.

So in the interest of keeping my sanity, I began a whole bunch of new projects. I figured if I use the yarn then its not such a waste when I have to trash the rest of the skien...right? Ive been knitting non-stop for almost three days now. I knit while walking down the street, its ridiculous. I have a half done cotton dish cloth in my lap at this very moment.


I finished several dish cloths (some of you may receive them in the mail - I aplogize for blatantly unloading on you) and this nifty little hat. Its from www.headhuggers.org which you might remember is the cancer hat charity I went absolutely nutty about a couple months ago. I think that because I made it out of this shiny blue/grey-ish yarn it sort of looks like chain mail. When I showed it to Corinne she said "oh, youve knit a helmet"

Indeed I have.

1 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Blogger ruth said...

happy birthday ms. kitie! love!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home