Terms of Indifference

observations from the post graduate pre corporate perspective

March 14, 2006

Quick Note from Kampuchea

I know, I know, they go by Cambodia now and the US Dept. of State never really adopted the whole DK thing anyway...but Thailand still calls this place Kampuchea and I feel like sounding more wordly.

Its really really hot here. Thats about all I can think of at the moment. We rode bikes around the temples in Angkor and at one point the sentence "Wow! Your shorts are so wet!" came from the bicycle behind me. As if I had jumped out of a pool or something. Right?
So Mr A and I have been attempting to make our way through Cambodia with twenty photocopied pages of the Lonely Planet and a budget that has been the source of my unending anxiety (because I was only thinking about one person when I designated how much to bring along). We have seen all sorts of sights and I have all sorts of pictures that will have to be posted at a later date.
Cambodia's Royal Palace is a schizoid mix of French architecture and something that looks strikingly similar to Thai architecture (rumor is that it all originiated here). I thought it was creepy rather than plesant but I suppose thats because Ive never been to France. The pastel, colonial lamp posts lining the avenues next to the river, juxtaposed with rickshaws and lots of poor people made Phnom Penh feel much more like a movie than any other place Ive been to. Sort of a highly orientalized version of a real city in the Orient.
Today we are going to a killing field and other such things of the emotionally heavy nature.

Safe Travels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home