Terms of Indifference

observations from the post graduate pre corporate perspective

November 12, 2005

Mai Pen Rai


Funny thing happened on the way home from school. Ethan had stopped by Prabhassorn because he was meeting Corinne to go to Ko Samet. So we had 3 people and 2 bikes. Based on skill and general bicycle durability, I was selected to drive with Ethan in my passenger seat. I have no idea how that worked for as long as it did. Eventually, it stopped working and I hit a parked car.
I HIT A PARKED CAR!
Ethan fell from the back of my bicycle and I looked up from under it to see a giant white scrape and a bent side mirror on a brand new truck! Well, shit. Bless these beautiful people of Thailand they come running from out the noodle shop to see if we are alright. I'm like, "dude, here's my address, I am so sorry, please don't sue me...blah blah blah". This guy is shaking his head, "Mai ben rai, mai ben rai (it's nothing, no worries)." THAILAND IS AWESOME! The passenger seat for the bike, however, is not so much.

Today was full of victories and defeats.

First the lowest point of the day:

I went to the laundramat to get my clothes washed. I literally had NO clean clothes - I was wearing the least dirty and it wasnt that clean. So I go to this place and the lady is all talking to me in Thai and I dont get it. Eventually I figure out that she is trying to say she wont wash my clothes for whatever reason. I dont know if it was because I wanted my laundry done so damn bad or if it was because I was so embarassed about not being able to understand her - but I broke down into tears. MORTIFYING!
The best part is that I got home and (after a month now) Boon had finally installed our washing machine. So my laundry got done and I never have to return to Laundry Express again.

Aside from all that, the day was full of productivity. Thats my kind of day!!! I ate some lunch, cleaned, got my immigration photos taken (and they were cute! how lucky is that?!), did my laundry, found a way to get pictures from my digitial camera onto the internet (hell yeah!), and basically just got a bunch of shit done. To match the washing machine, we also got a telephone. Overall, I give today two thumbs up.


Ah yes, and here is some lotus toothpaste I'm in love with. Notice the revolting poopesqueness of it...

2 Comments:

At 4:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting day I love your picture of the bike 2 seater awesome baby. Happy for you and your laundry YES! ALOHA KEA KUA

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger ruth said...

why am i not surprised that you brush your teeth with that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home