Terms of Indifference

observations from the post graduate pre corporate perspective

October 16, 2006

The Challenging Life of the Self-Employed

Sometimes I think that I just say "Im self employed" because it sounds nicer than "Im unemployed".
I probably do more work, technically speaking, than I used to when I had a 9-5er. But theres something about not punching a time card or asking my bosses permission to smoke that leads me to believe I really have no job.
The challenge is that we are told no job = no purpose. Instead of celebrating my liberation Im left feeling like a freeloader.
I was told, and agree wholeheartedly, that I should never work again unless I really really wanted to. I know that no one could possibly pay me what I think Im worth. I dont think that anyone is going to care about my wellbeing the way I do. Or let me take Wednesday off because I would rather finish my book. So why should I leave those sorts of decisions up to anyone besides myself?

Thank you Shaklee. Although sometimes I feel guilty for things I shouldnt (like hooking up my loved ones with high quality healthy stuff that they probably want anyway) in the end I know that a Tuesday afternoon hike with my dude is worth feeling a bit of vunerability.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home